Perhaps it is the siesta mood the entire country is in as we enjoy a 4-day weekend and celebrate Hari Raya and National Day – which called for a Spanish-inspired dish yesterday. You would not believe how easy it was to make this – I was in and out of the kitchen within 40 minutes.
I love how this is a one-dish meal and is extremely filling. You get your veggies (even though it might be frozen peas), carbohydrate and meat.
Plus, I swear, this time I didn’t use a rice cooker – okay, okay, I’ll admit it. I used a rice cooker, after much coaxing from my grandmother to do so, on my first attempt of the paella. To be fair to my grandma, the paella I achieved previously was decent. This time round, I wanted to see how different the outcome was if I cooked it over the stove.
I used this recipe from BBC GoodFood – they call it the “Easiest ever paella”. I think they were spot-on. If anyone can’t get this recipe right, I’ll personally coach you in your kitchen.
Verdict? If you’re in a rush, throw everything in and go for the rice cooker method. If you’re not a food snob, there’s not much difference in taste when cooking paella in the rice cooker versus over the stove, but using the latter method was so much more satisfying.
Easiest Ever Paella
Serves 3 to 4
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek or onion, sliced
110g pack chorizo sausage, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
300g long grain rice
1l hot fish or chicken stock
200g frozen peas
400g frozen seafood mix, defrosted
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, then soften the onions for 5 mins without browning.
- Add the chorizo and fry until it releases its oils.
- Stir in the turmeric and rice until coated by the oils, then pour in the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the peas and cook for 5 mins, then stir in the seafood to heat through for a final 1-2 mins cooking or until rice is cooked.
- Check for seasoning and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
- This dish is so versatile – it’s a good way to clear the contents from your fridge. I threw in a standard Cheese Sausage and eliminated seafood.
- Added a teaspoon of paprika in addition to the turmeric.
- Drizzle a little truffle oil before serving