Don’t just limit sour cream to dips and chips! We had a half opened cup from Christmas which was to expire and this was put to good use!
The following is Paula Deen’s Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe taken from the Food Network but my sister made some changes. She made half the recipe, reduced sugar to just 1 cup, and the cooking time for half the recipe is shorter than the original 1 hr 20 mins.
I personally thought the cake was a little sweet, so you might consider reducing the amount of sugar. My grandma also suggests beating the mixture for a longer duration to ensure it rises and that it remains fluffy.
Grandmother Paula’s Sour Cream Pound Cake
Serves 8-10 slices
Cook time + Prep time 1 hr 20 minutes
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add sour cream and mix until incorporated.
- Sift baking soda and flour separately.
- Add to creamed mixture, and alternate with eggs, beating each egg one at a time.
- Add vanilla and pour mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.